No-Clog Writing Caps
$1.00 – $5.99
No-Clog Writing Caps FAQs
Before first use: Unscrew the blue sleeve to make sure the tip is locked into place. (If not, insert tip and turn quarter turn clockwise to lock. Replace and tighten blue sleeve.
Keep the tip clean: We strongly recommend ScraPerfect’s Best Cleaner Ever™, the earth-friendly, people-safe solvent to keep the tip clean. If after time, the pin seems to stick or catch going in or coming out, take this as a warning that it is definitely time for a cleaning; if you delay, the pin my become permanently stuck in the tip.
For day-to-day maintenance, simply apply cleaner to the pin before closing it up. If you do this, you might not have to do a deep clean for a VERY long time (if ever). Periodically, it may be necessary to thoroughly clean the cap by taking it apart. Some people close the bottle every time they glue, while others leave it open during an entire crafting session. Either way, just be sure the tip stays clear.
Read the other FAQs, and Contact Us with any questions.
Yes, all the tips are interchangeable with the three sizes of caps; however, the pin in the top needs to match and fit the stainless steel tube in the tip.
The standard Fine (pink) tip comes in the packaged cap. There is a second tip in a small plastic bag which may be slightly thicker or the same size depending upon when the cap was packed.)
The X-tra Fine (yellow) and Thickest tips (green) are sold separately and come packaged with the appropriately sized pin caps.
The choice is up to you. As long as you store the product with the Pin Top screwed tightly and the bottle in an upright position, the product should remain fine for the life of the product. A clean tip may be even more important when the product is not being used regularly.
If you do remove the cap from the bottle, you’ll want to clean all the parts including the tip immediately before the fluid has a chance to dry and make cleaning more difficult.
Yes, and you should!
- Unscrew and remove the white “Pin Top” (see diagram).
- Unscrew and remove the blue “Sleeve”.
- Twist the (colored) plastic “Writing Tip” counterclockwise 1/4 turn and remove.
- Wash “Writing Tip” until water freely flows through it. Using a cotton swab, toothpick, or needle may be helpful to remove build-up, and it may be necessary to use a solvent to dissolve dried-on materials. You may need to clean the white base cap, too.
- Reassemble by replacing the tip into the base cap and tightening it with a clockwise 1/4 turn until it “locks” into place. Screw the blue sleeve back on.
We strongly recommend the BEST CLEANER EVER™ because not only is it an effective solvent, but it is people-safe and earth-friendly!
No, but you may want it! The original spout on the bottle of the Best Glue Ever™ is designed for precise application and it rarely clogs even when the cap is left off for extended periods of time**. Since it takes a bit of practice and control using the regular tip, many people find our NO-CLOG Writing Cap to be extremely helpful for limiting how much comes out, especially critical for die cuts and lacey embellishments which need those very fine lines and teeny tiny dots.
The cap also makes the bottle last 2-3 times longer!
PS: The LARGE size fits the Best Glue Ever.™
**(A little goober may form on the tip that of the spout which should be pulled off with your finger rather than pushed in with a pin.)
It’s really personal preference. Since the original spout on the bottle of the Best Glue Ever™ is designed for precise application and the tip rarely clogs, you don’t need the No-Clog Writing Cap™ if you practice a little on controlling the flow. However, even experts including ScraPerfect’s owner herself as well as most of the Design Team prefer the No-Clog Cap not only for those very fine lines and teeny tiny dots which makes gluing die cuts and lacey embellishments a breeze, but also because it makes the bottle last 2-3 times longer! However, there are applications where a little more glue is needed and so the best of both worlds is to have two bottles on your craft table: one bottle with the regular spout and one with the No-Clog Writing Cap™.
Remember, the first line of the direction on the Best Glue Ever label says, “USE SPARINGLY!” Using less glue will be neater, will dry faster, and will make the bottle of glue last even longer, and the NO-clog writing cap definitely helps you use less glue.
PS: To help reduce the chance of clogging, pull off any little goobers that form on the tip of the spout with your fingernails rather than pushing it in with a pin.
It sounds as if the tip is not seated correctly in the cap. Luckily, this is an easy fix!
- Unscrew the blue sleeve (turning counter-clockwise). If it’s very gummed up, you may need pliers to untwist the collar.
- Remove the stainless writing steel tip. If it were properly seated, you will need to twist it 1/4 turn counter-clockwise to remove it; if this is the problem, it will already be unseated and falling out.
- Clean the tip and cap thoroughly. You may need to use a solvent depending upon what product is oozing out. (We recommend ScraPerfect’s Best Cleaner Ever™, the earth-friendly, people-safe solvent!)
- For help cleaning the cap, refer to the FAQ “Can I remove the tip for cleaning?”. There are step-by-step directions and a video tutorial.
Although very rare, two customers have received defective caps with a thin bit of plastic covering the hole. Luckily, the “fix” is simple!
This is what the hole should look like from the inside the cap:
This is what the hole should look like from outside the cap:
This is what a defective cap may look like:
THE FIX: Poke an awl, doll needle, finishing nail or other sturdy implement through the cap to create the hole.
Stephanie sent this photo, saying fixing it was “totally easy” and even though the hole she made was small, she said it worked perfectly. (After seeing pics of a normal hole, she enlarged the hole, as recommended.)
PLEASE contact us if this doesn’t solve your problem!
Nothing lasts forever, but with care and proper cleaning, the cap will last a very long time. When a product is empty, we recommend a thorough cleaning before transferring it onto the new bottle.
You either you need a thicker tip or a thinner liquid…
THICKER TIP: In addition to the fine tip that comes in the cap, we offer other tips (sold separately). While one is even thinner, the Thicker or Thickest tips might just do the trick!
THINNER LIQUID: You can try to add a little water for water-based fluids, or an appropriate solvent for others. Warning: Only add a few drops at a time; even a very little bit can make a huge difference! Also be aware that thinning a product could change it for th worse. (We have found thinning Glossy Accents™ with just a few drops of water makes it much easier to apply, and adding a few drops to the Best Glue Ever™ or acrylic craft paint when they have thickened over time is also perfectly fine.
There are four parts to the caps. (Sizes for each are described below.)
- Small cap: 15/410
- Medium cap: 20/410
- Large cap: 24/410
- Xtra-Fine tip: 20 gauge (yellow plastic base on tip)
- Fine tip: 18 gauge (pink plastic base on tip)
- Thicker tip: 16 gauge (clear or purple plastic base on tip)
- Thickest tip: 14 gauge (green plastic base on tip)
- White Pin Top for the Fine (& Thicker) tips has 18 gauge wire.
- White Pin Top for the Xtra-Fine tip has a 20 gauge wire.
- Blue Pin top for the Thickest Tip has a 14 gauge wire
ScraPerfect offers three base cap sizes and several different tips.
Consider the cap size of the product(s) you wish to use it on; this is determined by the neck and threads on the bottle(s). The three most common sizes for art-type supplies are 15/410 (our Small cap), 20/410 (our Medium cap), and 24/410 (our Large cap).
Optional: choose the appropriate tip based upon the product. The tips that come in the package are appropriate for most fluids. The Xtra-fine tip for very thin/less viscous liquids and the Thickest tip for very thick fluids are both sold separately and come with their appropriate sized pin top.
Small Cap fits**
MOST 1/2 – .1 oz bottles including…
- ALEENE’S Assorted Glues (.66 oz )
- COLOR BOX Pigment Ink Refills
- HAMPTON ART Glitter Glues (1 oz.)
- JACQUARD Textile Paints (.5 oz)
- RANGER Stickles (.5 oz)
- RANGER Glossy Accents™ (.5 oz)
- SCRIBBLES 3D Puff Paint (1 oz.)™
- TSUKINEKO Pigment Ink Refills (1 oz.)
- TULIP Fabric Paints (5/8 oz -1.25 oz)
Medium Cap fits**
- BEACON Zip Dry™
- BEACON CraftFoam™/Bling ‘n Beauty™
- MAKING MEMORIES scrapbook paints
- JUDIKINS Diamond Glaze™
- RANGER Glossy/Matte Accents™ 2 oz
- RANGER Perfect Fabric Medium™ 2 oz.
- SCOTCH Tacky Adhesive™
- TULIP fabric paints (4 oz.)
Large Cap fits**
- ADHESIVE TECH A Fine Line™
- ALEENE’S Tacky Glue
- CRAFTER’S PICK Ultimate™ and Memory Mount™
- ELMER’S Glue
- HELMAR Acid Free Glue and Gemstone Glues
- SCRAPERFECT Best Glue Ever™
- SCUPLEY Studio Bakeable Adhesive™
PLUS MOST acrylic craft paints including:
- DECOART Americana™\
- DELTA Creamcoat™
- PLAID FolkArt™
**Fit or function with these products is not guaranteed.
Storing upright is most important when using the Thicker tip (in a tiny bag in the package) because the pin doesn’t fit quite as snugly into the that tip as it does into the fine tip.
Although the Pin Top seals the bottle when screwed tightly, there is a chance that liquid can seep out the tip and pool inside when the bottle is horizontal. Liquid won’t leak out of the closed cap, but it could be messy when the Pin Top is removed. If the bottle remains standing while capped, the leakage potential is eliminated!
- If you get frustrated by a product that tends to clog, the No-Clog Writing Cap™ will solve this problem. We LOVE this cap for the glossy glazes that always clog in their caps!
- If the tip on your product’s bottle isn’t fine enough–especially if you must cut the tip of the spout, this cap will solve that problem!
- If you’d like to write with a product –like acrylic paint, the No-Clog Writing Cap™ converts a bottle to a “pen”, so you don’t need a brush!